Monday, July 4, 2011

Sleep.....None to be found in Kilkee

Our first stop was the BayView B&B in Kilkee, a quaint little seaside village along the Atlantic coast. The Bayview was right in the heart of the village and the center of all the action.  After getting checked in we took off to find some lunch. John Hickie, owner of the Bayview, said to "walk along the beach to the end of the rocks there. You will find some good grub." Funny how things aren't always as close as they seem. What felt like 5 miles later, (all uphill), we found ourselves at the Diamond Rocks Cafe. The food was good and I guarantee you we walked every bit of it off on our walk back. Pretty place though....







The fun really began when we got back to the room. Being that it was our first day there, it was essential to stay awake as long as we could so as to acclimate to the time change. While Kristen chose to get some exercise in, I of course took a three hour nap. After waking we took off to find something for dinner. We landed at The Strand, a seafood restaurant overlooking the ocean. By this time the tide was rolling in and you could hear the waves crashing. After a lovely dinner, we made our way back to the room. Here is where it got interesting.

Not only do the Hickie's own the Bayview, they also own Hickie's Bar. It just so happens that our room, #8, was right above the band area. We would soon realize what an issue this would be. Kristen turned in early and with 3 hour nap, I had a little left in the tank. I head downstairs. The bar was busy but not too bad just yet. The music wasn't going to start until 10 or so. A drink or two and I was headed back upstairs. An hour or so later, all of Kilkee has decided to join us and the place was packed. I made friends with a delightful couple from Limerick so I stuck around to listen to the music. I found myself wishing Kristen could have stayed up long enough to hear the music and enjoy the craic for herself. Little did I know that she didn't miss a note of the music as she hadn't been able to get a wink of sleep. Ole" #8 made you feel like you were right on stage with the band. BRUTAL would be an understatement when you are that tired.  First thing, 3rd jULY 2011, I made some phone calls and we were moving on from Kilkee. I will say this, if Ireland had a Bourbon Street, it would be in Kilkee.



No comments:

Post a Comment