Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Our Last Day in Killarney

As the title implies today was our last day in Killarney. We didn't really have much in the way of plans for the day and that was just fine. Kristen had a bunch of stuff to get done with her MBA and I must admit that eight straight days of golf had gotten my attention......

However, since Kristen looked to be occupied all day, I ended up heading to Tralee Golf Club. We had heard a lot about it from some of the folks I had been paired with earlier on our trip. Kristen was going to be busy so I figured why not. Tralee was only a 35 minute drive from Killarney. i would be up and back in no time. Funny thing about driving in Ireland, it's easy to get turned around. Consequently, I missed my tee time by almost two hours. The starter said it was no bother and they paired me with three folks from the US. it was an uncle and his two nephews. Nice guys but golf was not their game. We were in for a VERY long round.....
















The course was in excellent condition with several holes along the water's edge on the front nine. I almost jarred it on the par three 7th, leaving myself a tap in for birdie. Even though I was playing well, our pace of play was more than I could bare. I didn't want to be too late getting back to Kristen for dinner in Killarney. Hence, I packed it in after the front nine. Sadly, the back nine is supposed to be one of the strongest nines in Ireland. it would have to wait until next time.....
I made it back to Killarney to a happy Kristen. She had had a good day back in Killarney at the Ross Hotel. She got all of her MBA work done, she got her exam grade back (96) and she discovered the 2nd best salmon and prawn salad in the world there at the Ross. Remember, number one lives at Old Head. Happy Day....

For dinner, we went back to see our friend Johnny McGuire at Bricin. We wanted to make sure our last night in Killarney was a good one. Bricin didn't disappoint. Another wonderful meal and another chat with Johnny. While Kristen went downstairs to shop for a few, Johnny brought a bottle of special Irish Whiskey for me to try. Good man! As I said before, if ever in Killarney, go to Bricin. You shan't be disappointed.....


After dinner we made our way to Danny Mann's to hear some music. The duo, Natural Gas, was playing and we took a seat right up front. I couldn't think of a better way to end our time in Killarney. They played a great mix of Gaelic music as well as some of the more traditional Irish tunes. The lead singer played guitar and the other guy played a wide assortment of instruments. My favorite was the Irish version of the bag pipes. 




Per my request, they ended the night with the following.  I thought it a fitting ending for our first trip to Ireland. Amazing Grace in an amazing place. I hope you have all enjoyed being a part of our trip. Be well......






No comments:

Post a Comment