Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Lahinch Golf Club



On 5 July 2011, we made our way to Lahinch Golf Club. It is about a 30 minute drive along the coast line from Doonbeg. Ranked as one of the top links courses in the world, I was looking forward to having a go at it. It was evident as we drove in that I would have to face the elements this go around as the rains and winds were rolling in. We arrived in time to grab some lunch in the club house and watch the rains come. For the second day in a row I found the bottom of a bowl of some of their seafood chowder. Dip some brown bread in there and it will make you want to slap your mama it's so good. I didn't come here to eat though so it was soon time to make my way to the tee. I had been staring out the windows of the clubhouse at the first and second holes for over an hour and I was anxious to see the rest of it. The winds and rain weren't letting up so I wasn't sure how long Kristen would be joining me on this round. She bundled up and made a go of it though.  With the second hole coming right back by the club house, I figured I had her for at least two holes. It was brutal out there so I was proud of her and was glad she got to see the course. I was paired with a father and his two sons from Texas. A little past 3:00 and it was time to put a peg in the ground and get going. 

As I said, the first two holes were down and back from the clubhouse. Not much to them other than the elements of wind and rain. My caddy, a 16 year old version of Rory McIlroy, said the course really begins at the third hole. He was right. The following 7 holes may be some of the most picturesque holes I have ever seen. The dunes here were even bigger than those at Doonbeg, something I thought to be impossible. My choice to invest in a caddy was a wise one as I was making everything I looked at on the greens. He saw things in those greens that these tired eyes didn't come close to seeing. Speaking of not being able to see something, the signature hole at Lahinch is the par 3 fifth hole is known as "The Dell". It plays as a blind shot to a tiny green nestled behind a massive sand dune. I am happy to report that a well struck five iron left my ball 8 feet from the hole. Birdie!!! If nothing else I brought the signature hole to its knees...

Kristen called it a day at the turn and made her way back to the clubhouse for some hot tea and dinner. With the weather as rough as it was the round took quite a while and we didn't get finished until after 8:00 pm. Back to Doonbeg we went. I was starving and she was already in prep mode for her spa day tomorrow. I will be back out on the links at Doonbeg tomorrow. Hoping for a reprieve from the weather we had today. We shall see.


















No comments:

Post a Comment